Classroom Observation Guidelines
- An observation should be a positive, supportive experience for our faculty. The purpose of the observation is to observe behavior and to suggest ways to improve learning for students.
- Observations of NEW part-time and NEW full-time faculty must be completed within the first terms of their employment.
- Division directors may ask others to serve as observers; however, observers should be experienced faculty on continuing contracts.
- Observations should be at least fifty minutes.
- The observer should be familiar with the descriptors and use specific observation notes, avoiding vague terms like “good job” or “nice.”