Copyright Rules and Regulations
Copyright Rules and Regulations are also know as Fair Use Guidelines.
For more information, please see Policy 6.10 Reproduction of Copyrighted Materials
Instructors May Not:
- Make multiple copies of a work for classroom use if it has already been copied for another class in the same institution.
- Make multiple copies of a short poem, article, story, or essay from the same author more than once in a class term, or make multiple copies form the same collective work or periodical issue more than three times a term.
- Make multiple copies of works more than nine times in the same class term.
- Make a copy of works to take the place of an anthology.
- Make a copy of “consumable” materials such as workbooks.
- Make copies of the same item form semester to semester.
- Make a single copy for use in scholarly research, or in teaching, or in preparation for teaching a class of the following:
- A chapter from a book.
- An article from a periodical or newspaper.
- A short story, short essay, or short poem, whether or not from a collection.
- A chart, graph, diagram, drawing, cartoon, or picture from a book, periodical, or newspaper.
- Make multiple copies for classroom use only, and not to exceed one per student in a class, of the following:
- A complete poem, if it is less than 250 works and printed on not more than two pages.
- An excerpt from a longer poem, if it is less than 2,500 words.
- An excerpt from a prose work, if less than 1,000 words or 10 percent of the work, whichever is less.
- One chart, graph, diagram, drawing, cartoon, or picture per book or periodical.
The following is a sample letter to a copyright owner. It should be submitted using College stationery:
I would like permission to copy the following for use in my class next semester:
Title: Knowledge is Good, Second Edition
Copyright: Hypothetical Book Co., 1965, 1971.
Author: Frances Jones
Material to be duplicated: Chapter 10 (photocopy enclosed).
Number of copies: 50
Distribution: the material will be distributed free of charge to students in my class.
Type of reprint: Photocopy
Use: The chapter will be used as supplementary teaching materials.
I have enclosed a self-addressed envelope for your convenience in replying to this request.
(Reviewed November 2016)