The PALM CLUB
The PALM Club (Partners at Learning Math) is a service learning project for students who are enrolled in MAT 070 and ACA 118. As part of the class experience students work with the Citizens in Schools organization to provide after school tutoring to 6th, 7th and 8th graders at Eastway Middle School. At the end of the semester, students will host a math bowl where the middle school students will compete against each other for prizes.
THE PALM CLUB
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
1. What if I am not available to do the after school tutoring. Can I still join this learning community?
- Yes! In addition to tutoring, students will need to produce materials for the tutoring sessions and the math bowl competition, and plan the math bowl. There is a job for everyone.
2. How will participating in middle school tutoring and a math bowl help me to learn math?
- Students will produce all the practice problems for tutoring (along with the answer keys) and for the math bowl. This is an added incentive to make sure that your homework problems are worked correctly!
3. Why should I sign up for this learning community?
- If you need to take MAT 070, and you would like to take a class to enhance your overall study skills, then this is the learning community for you. In addition, you will be participating in a program where you can meet new friends, interact with your instructors, and build a sense of community and cooperation. As an added bonus, you will be helping some younger math students who are struggling with math (as you probably did) and provide them with an exciting event that will make learning math fun.
Citizen Schools Program