Remote Computer Access
Central Piedmont Community College offers CPCC Cloud as our remote access offering for both students and employees. There are three methods of connecting to CPCC resources,all of them are accessible from https://cloudgw.cpcc.edu.
- Virtual Desktop – is a hosted computer environment which provides access to CPCC resources from anywhere on all popular platforms.
- Virtual Application – is a hosted application service which provides direct access to CPCC licensed applications from anywhere on all popular platforms with the need to log into a computer.
- (Coming Soon) Office Computer Access – limited to full-time employees, we offer the ability to connect back to our office computer from anywhere.
The following instructions were written using the Google Chrome web browser. All of the information on this page is consistent with any browser that you may be using, but the screenshots and file locations may differ depending on your current browser.
Launching and Logging in to CPCC Cloud.
1. Launch your internet browser, and enter the following URL in the address bar: https://cloudgw.cpcc.edu. Enter your CPCC username and password and select next.
2. Your session will now start. By default you will see your favorites page. To launch and application or virtual desktop simply click the icon and it will open in a new browser tab.
3. On the top of your home screen you will see three icons that let you navigate between "Favorites", "Desktops", and "Apps". Click on "Apps" and you will be taken to Applications page.
4. Select "All" on the Apps screen to display all of the applications available to you.
5. Click on the "Details" link for the application you would like to add to your home screen and click the "Add to Favorites button. Click on "Favorites" on the top of the screen.
6. Your app should now display on your home screen. You can add apps and desktops to the screen at will, and if you wish to customize them, simply drag and drop the icons.
7. To launch a Windows Virtual Environment simply click on the desktop you would like to load. In this example, we're loading "Windows 7 with Office 2013". Your virtual environment will open in a new tab and begin to load.
8. The virtual desktop will look and work exactly as a physical desktop. If this is your first time using a virtual environment, we strongly suggest taking the Getting started tour.
Using Cloud Applications
The virtual desktop will let you open programs as well as search for programs and files.
1. In the below example, Microsoft Word was opened from the start menu.
2.You can find all of the programs available to you by clicking on the Windows Start Button and selecting the "All Programs" option.
3. After clicking "All Programs" you will see a folder named "Microsoft Office 2013", clicking on this will expand the directory showing you all of the programs that are inside of that folder. In this example, we have chosen to open Word.
4. You can also quickly search for a program using the "Search programs and files". Type in the name of the program, and if it is available a link for it will appear in the upper left navigation menu.
5. Click on the link for Word, and Microsoft Word will open.
Saving and Accessing your Files
1. When saving files make sure that you are saving any files to your Documents folder. This will usually be your default save location, but double check!
Any files not saved to your Documents folder will be lost when you end your session!
In this case, click on the "File" link in the ribbon.
Select "Save As".
2. A dialogue box will appear. Make sure that you are saving to your student directory and NOT to your desktop!
3. Do not save any files to the Desktop, Download, Recent Places, etc..., folders. If you do not save in the Documents folder, your work will be lost!
4. To access your documents, simply navigate to the start button in the lower left hand corner, open the start menu and select the "Documents" tab. This will open all of your saved files and folders.
5. A dialogue box will appear. Ensure that you are in your documents folder, and open your saved file.
Save & Upload Documents Directly to the CPCC Cloud
1. To upload or download a file directly from the CPCC Cloud Virtual Environment, simply click on the bulls-eye icon to expand it.
2. You will presented with four options:
3. Click on the upload icon (#2), select the file you would like to move to the CPCC Cloud and select "Open".
4. You will prompted to select a folder where you would like to save the file. Select the folder or create and new one and select "OK".
Your file has been uploaded!
5. To Download a file, click on the download icon (#3), select the file you would like to move from the CPCC Cloud and select "Open". It will save to your download location, depending on what browser your using your status notification may differ.
(File downloaded in Google Chrome.)
(File downloaded in Firefox)
6. The file will download to your physical system. You can open the file, or choose to view it in a folder. This will allow you to move it to another directory.
|If you need further assistance please contact the CPCC ITS Help Desk.|
|ITS Help Desk Web Sitefirstname.lastname@example.org||Live Chat Support|
|704.330.5000 - phone||704.330.5475 - fax|