FAQ (under development)

What should I do if...

  • I need to change my program of study?
    Ask your advisor or counselor to change your program.
  • I need to figure out what classes to take next semester.
    Do a program of study evaluation, look at what's offered next semester, and review the suggested plan of study published by your department (see these here) and plan accordingly. Be sure to focus on classes that are offered less often (i.e. 200-level, or rare sections) and take them when they are offered.
  • Graduation/Certificate: I want to graduate or get a certificate. What do I do?

You should apply a semester in advance  (after registering for all courses required to finish the program) or early during your final semester in order to get your certificate at the end of the semester you earn it.

Check your Program Review and make sure you've fulfilled all the requirements, or will complete them in time for your graduation/completion date.

If the student is in the certificate/graduation program, she can apply online through MyCollege. Login to MyCollege, Select Student Menu and Click Graduation application.

MyCollege >> Student >> Graduation Application

If the student is not active in the program, click here to get a paper applicationhttps://www.cpcc.edu/graduation/forms . Complete the application and submit it to the graduation office at CH120. You can ask your advisor to make you active in the program.

  • No Class: The class I need for a certificate or degree is no longer offered or not offered when I need it?

This issue is common, but usually dealt with on a case-by-case basis. Usually the simple solution is a substitution for an equivalent class that is offered. Consult your advisor, and s/he can make recommendations and request the substitutions. These substitutions usually apply to a specific program, so if a class is needed for both a certificate and a degree, you may need two substitutions.

  • Quarter System: I have transfer credits under the quarter system and have 2.75 credits instead of the 3.0 my program evaluation says I need. What do I do about the missing .25 credits.
    • You can graduate within a program even if you are 1 credit shy in one area, so check your Program Review, and the graduation office will confirm this when you apply for graduation.
  • Test-out: I already have the skills required for the class I'm supposed to take. Can I test out?
    • Some classes have standardizes test-out procedures, and others do not, or are dealt with on a case-by-case basis. You'll need to consult with the "owner" of the course - usually the chair or director of that division (i.e. Math, English, etc..) to determine the policy for that course. If they course is in your primary program of study (i.e. Computer Science) your advisor should be able to help. In all cases, the more documentation/evidence of your proficiency you can provide the better. Note that often classes cover material you may not be familiar with, despite the name or catalog description.
  • Next Semester: I need to figure out what classes to take next semester.
    • Look at your Program Evaluation. Make sure you are enrolled in the program you are working to complete. While it's best to consult with an advisor, you will generally want to complete 100-level  classes before 200-level courses. Specialized courses that have only a few sections will be harder to find every semester and in the summer, so they're better taken when available, whereas the general education classes that are common are offered regularly and in many variations (online/hybrid/etc..).