Frequently Asked Questions

Click here for FAQs for parents from the NC Career and College Promise website.

1. What if my student does not have a 3.0 GPA?

Students must have a 3.0 GPA to participate on a transfer pathway.  They can get permission from their principal to take Career and Technical classes with a lower GPA.  A limited number of these classes may transfer to some 4 year institutions.

2. What if my student does not have the necessary test scores?

Students who do not have the test scores, but have a 3.5 GPA and have completed Algebra II or higher and 2 years of high school English, all with a C or better, qualify for provisional status.

3. Do all students need test scores?

No, students on the Career and Technical pathways do not need test scores, unless they are taking a specific class that has test score pre-requisites.  Most of these classes are noted on the pathway sheets.

4. What is the age limit for taking CCP classes?

There is no age limit for CCP-the only requirement is that students be a junior or senior in high school.  Home school families make their own determination about grade level.

5. Who is eligible to participate?

Any junior or senior at any North Carolina high school or NC home school with a valid number from the NCDNPI may participate as long as they meet the other eligibility requirements.  NC residents attending high schools outside of the state may also participate.

6. How does my student apply?

Please see enrollment steps for CMS or Non-CMS students.

7. My child is a current CCP student.  How do they register for subsequent semesters?

CCP students must submit a new Pathway Approval Form and an updated high school transcript (signed).  CMS students need to work with their school contact each semester.

8. How many classes may my student take each semester?

There is no minimum or maximum number of classes a student may take.  These are college level classes, and students should work with their counselors to make sure that they can comfortably handle the classes they take.

9. If my student does not complete the entire college transfer pathway, will the credits still transfer?

Yes.  All of the classes on the college transfer pathways are part of the Uniform General Education Transfer Component (UGETC) of the comprehensive articulation agreement between the NC community college system and the UNC system.

10. What is the deadline for registering for CCP?

We will register students up until classes are full or begin.  Many schools have deadlines that are earlier than CPCC does.  We recommend that you contact your school about their deadlines because we cannot allow students to register without permission from their school.   In addition, we recommend registering as early as possible to ensure the best selection of class availability.

11. My student is an athlete.  Is it possible for athletes to participate?

Yes. Athletes may participate in CCP.  They need to make sure that their class schedule is compatible with their practice and game schedule.

12. When and where are CCP classes offered?

CCP classes are available at all six of our campuses as well as online.  They meet at various times.  CPCC does not have special classes solely for CCP students.

13. What about conflicts between school and college schedules?

Students are responsible for attending their college classes even when their high school is on break and vice versa.

14. Can my student take a foreign language?

Yes. Students who are on a College Transfer pathway can take up to 8 credit hours of French, German, ASL or Spanish. With departmental permission, they can test into a higher level, but are limited to 8 credit hours.  These classes do not count towards pathway completion and are not UGETC classes, so they may not transfer.

15. My student wants to take a class that is not on the pathway.  We are willing to pay for it.  Is this possible?

Students may not take any class that is not on their pathway until they complete the entire pathway.  Students who complete a Career and Technical pathway may continue to take other classes that will lead to a degree in that area or may select another pathway.

16. My student would like to take summer classes.  Is this possible?

Students who have completed their sophomore year of high school prior to the beginning of CPCC’s summer session may take summer classes.  All students will be responsible for books, student and insurance fees. Tuition is covered by the state.

17. Is it possible to substitute courses not on the pathway for those that are?

Students may take a higher level math class on technical pathways with departmental permission.  Students may also take higher level math classes on transfer pathways if they submit proper documentation to the math division or the CCP Coordinator.  Click here for additional Math placement criteria. Reminder: These are college level math courses and high school pre-calculus is not the same as CPCC's MAT 171 and MAT 172. Other substitutions are sometimes possible on an individual basis.

18. The program is tuition free.  Why does my student have an account balance?

The program is tuition free, but students are responsible for paying student fees.  These fees vary widely based upon number of credit hours and required labs.  CMS pays these fees for its students during the Fall and Spring semesters with the exception of a nominal insurance fee that cannot be waived or paid by anyone other than the student.

19. What is the deadline for dropping a class?

The drop and withdrawal procedures and deadlines are the same for all CPCC students, including CCP students.  The drop date is 10% of the class meeting.  The withdrawal date is 35% of the class meeting.  These dates differ for each class but should be on the syllabus.  Students need to pay close attention to these dates because these grades will be part of their high school GPA and will appear on their college transcript.

20. What is the difference between CCP classes and AP or IB classes?

CCP classes are college classes, taught by college faculty.  As long as a student makes a C or better in these classes, they will receive college credit.  AP and IB classes are taught by high school staff at the high school.  Students must pass exams for these classes to earn college credit.  All three types of classes give students high school credit.

21. My student is not yet a high school junior.  What should we be doing to prepare?

Your student should take their current course work seriously.  The grades they make as a freshman and sophomore will impact their ability to participate in this program later.  They should also take the PLAN, PSAT, ACT, SAT or CPCC Placement test to get the qualifying scores they need for the transfer pathways.  Students should pay attention to their math sequence.  All of the college ready bench mark tests require knowledge of concepts taught up through Algebra II.

22. My student is planning on attending a 4 year institution.  Why should they consider a Career and Technical class that may not transfer?

  1. The Career and Technical classes are a great way for students to “test drive” a potential career to see if they like it before they commit to a 4 year program of study.
  2. Many of the Career and Technical certifications offer higher paying career options than some 4 year degrees.
  3. Career and Technical class experience can help a college student find a higher paying part time job while they are in college.
  4. Apply the academic skills needed for work place success
  5. Many programs can lead to a 4 year degree.  Universities will apply the credits earned in the AAS degree towards a BA degree.
  6. Students' faculty advisors are usually actively involved in their career fields

23. My student is a minor.  Does the Family Education Right to Privacy Act (FERPA) apply?

Yes, FERPA applies to all college students, regardless of age. CPCC staff and your student’s instructors are limited on what they can discuss with parents about students.  Unless the student self identifies as a CCP student, the instructor will not know they are in the CCP program.

24. Are CCP students eligible for disability services?

Yes, accommodations work differently for college students. Students must self-identify to the Disability Services office. The Disability Services office will tell the student what paperwork they require. Once the student submits the paperwork, the Disability counselor will review it and let the instructor know what accommodations the student is entitled.  The student does not directly contact the instructor.

25. Who do I contact about Middle College?

Middle College is a Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools program that allows high school juniors and seniors to earn college credits while completing their high school requirement. The program criteria differs from the Transfer and CTE pathways in Career and College Promise. The program is hosted at Cato, Harper, Levine and beginning Fall 2017 Merancas CPCC Campuses. Please contact the associated principal for additional information about attending Middle College here.

If you have additional questions, please contact our Outreach and Recruitment team at 704-330-6637 or email Kimber.Morton@cpcc.edu