Baking and Pastry Arts FAQ's

Baking and Pastry Arts Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I sign up?

  • See Baking and Pastry Arts Steps to Enroll

2. When can I get into the program?

  • Baking and Pastry Arts classes are taught in a sequence where each class builds on the previous class.


  • 3. What should I do in the meantime? Get a "jump start" on your Associate's degree by completing the general education core requirements:
    • ENG 111 Expository Writing
    • ENG 114 Professional Research & Reporting
    • Choose a minimum of three (3) credit hours from the list of approved courses:

Social/Behavioral Sciences


    • You can complete two required BPA degree courses: CUL 110 Sanitation & Safety 2 – 0 – 2 CUL 112 Nutrition for Foodservice 3 – 0 – 3


    • Once you have completed CUL 110, Sanitation & Safety, you are welcome to join in the Baking & Pastry Arts Club. The club is a great way to get your foot in the door, meet faculty and students, learn your way around the kitchen, and get your hands in the "dough." The BPA Club is very active on campus as well as in the community. The club sponsors competition teams, educational field trips, raises money for charitable organizations, and sponsors guest chef training demonstrations. For additional information, contact Tanya Beauvais at 704.330.4642 and .


    • If you would like to meet other industry professionals and attend free educational meetings, you are welcome to join the junior Charlotte chapter of the American Culinary Federation. For additional information, contact Tanya Beauvais at 704.330.4642 and .

    4. How long does it take to complete the program?

    • An Associate in Applied Science Degree – Baking and Pastry Arts is awarded by the college upon completion of the two-year program.


    5. What if I already have a degree?

    • Awesome! See the Admissions section of the college catalog for instructions on having your transcript evaluated.

    6. What if I just want to take a class or two?

    • The BPA program is intended for career-oriented students seeking an Associate's degree. Students can earn three specialization certificates on their way to the Associate's degree.


    • Corporate and Continuing Education offers Charlotte Cooks classes for the Home Gourmet. Classes can be accessed from the Hospitality Education Home Page.

    7. What if I don't have any previous food industry experience?

    • That's why they call it school! No experience necessary – just a willingness to learn and a passion for the art of baking and pastry.

    8. Do I need a uniform?

    • Yes. For the lab courses, a standard uniform of check pants, white chef's jacket, hat, apron, and non-slip shoes is required. The uniforms (everything but the shoes), is ordered through the bookstore and takes about two weeks to be delivered.

    9. What tools do I need?

    • There is a BPA tool kit specifically designed for this program. This is available also through the bookstore. It's a little expensive, $275, but well worth it.

    10. How much does the program cost?

    • The first semester is the most expensive as you will have the initial uniform purchase and tool kit to buy, tuition and books, etc., so roughly $1,200. A two-year Associate's degree for in-state students including tuition, fees, books, uniforms, and tools, is approximately $9,000.