Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What do I do to get started in the horticulture program?

A: Go to any area campus of CPCC to get registered, if you haven’t taken classes before at CPCC. You will need to meet with a counselor and send for your transcripts to enter the degree programs. You may have to take placement tests. Once you are in the program of choice, you will be assigned an advisor and we’ll assist you in planning your classes.

Q: Do I have to be in a program to take horticulture classes?

A: No. We have a wide range of students taking classes. They may be exploring the field or continuing with their professional education.

Q: What should I take first?

A: Core courses (HOR 160’s) are recommended to take first. If a recommended sequence of courses would be useful to you in your school planning, please contact us.

Q: Where are the courses offered?

A: Most of the classes are offered at the Cato Campus, but occasionally we will have offerings at Central Campus. Check the current course offerings to see what’s offered and where for next semester.

Q: Can I get my degree by just taking evening classes?

A: Many of our students work full or part time and take just evening classes. So, yes, you can get your degree in this manner.

Q: How much money does it cost to take a class?

A: It will depend upon how many hours you are taking per semester. Currently for In-State students, it is $72 per credit hour, up to $1152 for 16 hours or more. Additional fees are based upon the hours or course, but the ranges are $26-$35 Student Activity Fee, $21 per hour (up to $168) Lab Fees, $48 Technology Fees, and $73 or $97 CAPS Fee (Campus Access, Parking and Security). Out-of-State tuition is much higher.

Q: What kind of job opportunities are there for horticulture graduates?

A: Many of our students become landscape contractors, landscapers, designers, supervisors in maintenance crews, own their own businesses in maintenance or production, or enter sales in retail garden centers or nurseries or horticulture products.

Q: Who do I contact for more information or advice on courses to take?

A: Contact your advisor (if known) or the Horticulture and Turfgrass Program Chair.