Work-Based Learning

Internship Wordle

Both Substance Abuse Associate's Degree and C3 Certificate students are required to complete two semesters of internship (WBL), with a minimum of 160 hours per semester in order to learn the 12 core functions of a substance abuse professional. This is typically done within the student's last two semesters in the Substance Abuse program.

Once all minimum eligibility requirements have been met, the student must take the following actions:

  • Register with the North Carolina Substance Abuse Professional Practice Board (NCSAPPB)
    • This must be done prior to beginning the internship.
    • Perspective students should study the Board's website to familiarize themselves with state credentialing requirements for substance abuse counselors.
    • Students will receive instruction on the Board and the registration process through the course of the program and will be assisted in the registration process by program faculty.
    • For students with a criminal background should review the Board's rules relative to registering and credentialing. The Board's "Administrative Rules" can be found at the following link: 21 NCAC 68 .0216 Background Investigation.

    NCSAPPB Logo

  • Secure an Internship Site
    • An internship site must be substance abuse specific with a Certified or Licensed Substance Abuse Professional providing supervision.
    • The specific site is based on the students’ professional interests and current schedule.
    • Faculty will assist the student in identifying possible locations, but it is the responsibility of the student to secure a site.


  • Attend a Mandatory Information Meeting
    • Information about the time and location of this meeting will be shared once arrangements are made.


Orientation Session

For students who plan to begin WBL in Spring 2019, an Orientation session will be held on Thursday, October 10th at 12:00 PM on Central Campus in the Health Careers Building, Room 4510.


Are you a current Substance Abuse student with questions about Work-Based Learning? Please contact the Substance Abuse faculty.