Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How much does it cost?

A: Tuition information can be found here.

Q: Is State certification/licensure required to work in the field of substance abuse?

A: Yes, if you are working with substance abuse specifically. However, you can, and in fact it is required, work in the field while you are in the process of obtaining your certification/licensure. You can learn more about State certification/licensure by contacting the North Carolina Substance Abuse Professional Practice Board at 919-832-0975 or

Q: If I complete the certificate or degree program at CPCC, will I be certified by the State?

A: No. The certification process is outlined by the NCSAPPB. Those requirements are found at the contact information listed above. CPCC certificates and degree program will provide you the required number of education/training hours needed. The degree as well as the Substance Abuse Counseling Certificate will also provide you with the 300 hours of supervised practicum required by the Board. The information obtained in all courses helps to prepare you for the written State credentialing exam.

Q: Do I have to complete the degree or certificate program to become certified?

A: No. However, we do offer a high quality, cost-effective, and efficient path towards certification/licensure.

Q: How long does it take to complete the degree program?

A: The degree program is a total of 76 credit hours. If you are a full-time student taking 12 hours/semester, it would take you roughly 6 semesters to complete. If you take more hours each semester or transfer hours in from another college it will take you less time; if you can only attend on a part-time basis it will take you longer to complete. The Program faculty work with each student every semester to advise them on course sequencing and offer guidance on how many credit hours to take.

Q: How long does it take to complete the certificate program?

A: Most students complete in 4 semesters, but it may take longer depending on course availability and the number of courses a student elects to take each semester. It is imperative to seek advisement from the Program faculty for course sequencing to complete as quickly as possible. Please note this time frame does not apply to students that have a degree in an unrelated field and will need to take additional courses. The time frame for those students varies depending on how many additional classes they may need to take.

Q: Where do I do my internships?

A: Once all requirements have been met, the student will meet with the Program Chair to discuss the agency that might best suit the student’s interests, strengths and schedule. The purpose of your internship is to learn the 12 core functions of a substance abuse professional, therefore an internship site must be substance abuse specific.

Q: Do you offer any classes online?

A: Currently only one substance abuse class, SAB 125, is offered online. Our classes are very interactive and often have experiential aspects to them, thus are not conducive to online instruction. Many of the general education classes are offered online.

Q: Do you offer any classes in the summer?

A: No, SAB, HSE and DDT classes are not offered in the summer; however, many of the general education courses are offered during the summer.

Q: On which campuses do you offer classes?

A: All substance abuse (SAB) and human services technology (HSE & DDT) classes are offered only on Central Campus. Several general education courses are offered at a variety of campus locations.

Q: How can I get more information on the program?

A: For more information, please plan to attend one of the upcoming information sessions linked to the left.



Are you ready to get started? Click here to begin the application process.