Work Based Learning
General Information about Human Services Internships
Who is Eligible?
Before a student can be eligible to receive Work Based Learning (WBL) credit, the student must meet the following requirements:
- Have a 2.5 GPA
- Minimum of twelve semester hours credit (12) must be completed within the appropriate program of study
- A minimum of 3 SCH must come from the core within the students Major.
- Satisfactorily completed a combination of the units of courses indicated above.
- Be recommended for placement by the Human Services Faculty.
- Must be enrolled in its companion seminar class which meets weekly on Wednesday from 12:30 to 1:20pm.
- The following courses MUST be completed prior to beginning Work Based Learning in Human Services (WBL):
- HSE 110 - Introduction to Human Services
- HSE 112 - Group Process 1
- HSE 120 - Interpersonal Relations
- SAB 110 - Substance Abuse Overview
- HSE 123 - Interviewing Techniques
- ENG 111 - Expository Writing
- HSE 225 - Crisis Intervention
- PSY 150 - General Psychology
- SOC 213 -Sociology of the Family
- The mid-term visit with the student may or may not be on site. It can take place on campus.
- must complete 9 semester credit hours in the program of study prior to WBL
Associate Degree and Diploma Students
- must complete 12 semester credit hours in program of study and 3 semester credit hours in the core before WBL
Students with a previous degree
- all students must meet the same eligibility requirements in order to participate in WBL
College Transfer WBL Students – one hour credit may or may not transfer – this will be the decision of the gaining institution
- Students are required to be “on the site”. If student is out of state, document any exceptions (like a telephone visit) in the student’s file
MLO’s (measurable learning objectives) will be closely reviewed by auditors – should be measurable and related to program of study
Completion Hours--Students must complete 160 hours per semester for a total of 320 hours for the year if you are in the A45380 (Associates in Applied Sciences Degree). If you are in a certificate program then you will only do one semester of Work Based Learning.
These courses total 26 credit hours prior to a student beginning the Work Based Learning component of the program. Students must have a "C" or better to have successfully completed any Human Services courses (HSE), Substance Abuse courses (SAB), Developmental Disabilities courses (DD) or Gerontology course (GRO).