Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q:  How much does it cost?

A:  Go to for information on cost.

Q:  Is State Certification/Licensure required to work in the field of human services?

A:  The Center for Credentialing and Education has developed the Human Services Board Certified Practitioner (HS-BCP) credential which you are eligible to take once you complete your Human Services Education and are practicing in the field.  The  Board Certified Human Services Professional credentialing will offer greater employment opportunities for the Human Services Professional however currently there is no state certification/licensure required to work in the field of human services.

Q:  How long does it take to complete the degree program?

A:  The degree program is a total of 73 credit hours.  If you are a full-time student taking 12 hours/semester, it might take you roughly 6 semesters to complete.  If you take more hours each semester or transfer hours in from another college it may take you less time, if you can only attend on a part-time basis it will take you longer to complete.  The Program Chair works with each student every semester to advise them on course sequence and offers guidance on how many credit hours to take.

Q:  How long does it take to complete the certificate program?

A:  It is possible to complete in 3 to 4 semesters, but recommended to complete in 4.  The certificates are primarily designed for those individuals who already have advanced degrees and are interested in furthering their Human Services skills.  It is imperative to seek advisement from the Program Chair for course sequence to complete as quickly as possible.  Please note this timeframe does not apply to students that have a degree in an unrelated field and will need to take additional courses.  The timeframe for those students varies depending on how many additional classes they may need to take.

Q:  Where do I do my internships?

A:  Once all requirements have been met, the student will meet with the Program Chair to discuss the agency that might best suit the student’s interests, strengths and schedule.

Q:  Do you offer any classes online?

A:  Currently there are three online human service classes and one fully online human service certificate, the HSE 225 (Crisis Intervention), HSE 242 (Family System) and HSE 227 (Children and Adolescents in Crisis).  However, please consider that our classes are very interactive and often have experiential aspects to them, thus may not be conducive to online instruction.  Many of the general education classes are offered online as is the SAB (Substance Abuse Overview) which is required for the Online Working with At Risk Children certificate.

Q:  Do you offer any classes in the summer?

A:  No.  However, some of the general education hours are offered during the summer.

Q:  Which campuses do you offer classes at?

A:  All human services technology classes are on central campus.  Several general education classes are offered at a variety of campus locations.

Q:  Whom do I contact for more detailed information on the Human Services Technology Program?

A:  The Program Chair for Human Services Technology, Tommy Lopez at or at 704-330-6153. Note: During the summer session you may contact any of the Counselors at any of the CPCC campus’ for additional information.