Frequently Asked Questions

A faculty member advises a student.

Eligibility/Admissions Requirements

Q:  Whom do I contact for more detailed information on the Human Services Technology Program?

A:  The Program Chair for Human Services Technology. Note: During the summer session you may contact any of the Counselors at any of the CPCC campuses for additional information.

Return to top

Program Overview

Q:  How long does it take to complete the degree program?

A:  The degree program is a total of 73 credit hours.  If you are a full-time student taking 12 hours/semester, it might take you roughly 6 semesters to complete.  If you take more hours each semester or transfer hours in from another college it may take you less time, if you can only attend on a part-time basis it will take you longer to complete.  The Program Chair works with each student every semester to advise them on course sequence and offers guidance on how many credit hours to take.

Return to top

Q:  How long does it take to complete the certificate program?

A:  It is possible to complete in 3 to 4 semesters, but recommended to complete in 4.  The certificates are primarily designed for those individuals who already have advanced degrees and are interested in furthering their Human Services skills.  It is imperative to seek advisement from the Program Chair for course sequence to complete as quickly as possible.  Please note this timeframe does not apply to students that have a degree in an unrelated field and will need to take additional courses.  The timeframe for those students varies depending on how many additional classes they may need to take.

Return to top

Q:  How much does the program cost?

A:  For more information, please refer to the Program Costs & Scholarships page.

Return to top

Q: Where can I find the program handbook?

A: The linked program handbook is available for students to have more information about the Human Services programs including Human Services Technology, Developmental Disabilities, and Substance Abuse.

Return to top

Q: What are the minimum requirements to be eligible to begin the WBL (internship) program?

A. Students in the Human Services Technology program must have the following to be eligible to participate in the work-based learning (internship) program:

  • 2.5 Cumulative GPA
  • Completed a minimum number of credit hours as follows:
    • Associate's Degree Students: 12 semester credit hours within the program of study and an additional 3 semester credit hours specifically in HSE courses with the following courses required to be completed prior to beginning WBL:
      • HSE 110 - Introduction to Human Services
      • HSE 112 - Group Process I
      • HSE 120 - Interpersonal Relations
      • HSE 123 - Interviewing Techniques
      • HSE 225 - Crisis Intervention
      • SAB 110 - Substance Abuse Overview
      • ENG 111 - Expository Writing
      • PSY 150 - General Psychology
      • SOC 213 - Sociology of the Family
    • Certificate Students: 9 semester credit hours in the student's program of study for the C1 certificate or C2 certificate
  • Be recommended for placement by the Human Services faculty.

    For more information, please refer to the Work-Based Learning page on the program website.

    Return to top

    Q:  Where do I do my internships?

    A:  Once all requirements have been met, the student will meet with the Program Chair to discuss the agency that might best suit the student’s interests, strengths, and schedule.

    Return to top

    Q:  Do you offer any classes online?

    A:  Currently there are three online human service classes and one fully online human service certificate, the HSE 225 (Crisis Intervention), HSE 242 (Family System) and HSE 227 (Children and Adolescents in Crisis).  However, please consider that our classes are very interactive and often have experiential aspects to them, thus may not be conducive to online instruction.  Many of the general education classes are offered online as is the SAB (Substance Abuse Overview) which is required for the Online Working with At Risk Children certificate.

    Return to top

    Q:  Do you offer any classes in the summer?

    A:  No. However, some of the general education hours are offered during the summer.

    Return to top

    Q:  Which campuses do you offer classes at?

    A:  All Human Services Technology classes are on Central Campus.  Several general education classes are offered at a variety of campus locations.

    Return to top

    Human Services Technology Profession

    Q:  Is State Certification/Licensure required to work in the field of human services?

    A:  The Center for Credentialing and Education has developed the Human Services Board Certified Practitioner (HS-BCP) credential which you are eligible to take once you complete your Human Services Education and are practicing in the field.  The  Board Certified Human Services Professional credentialing will offer greater employment opportunities for the Human Services Professional. However, currently there is no state certification/licensure required to work in the field of human services.

    Return to top