Frequently Asked Questions

Why can’t the Graduation Office tell me what I need to graduate when I submit my application?

Once you apply for graduation, a graduation analyst will audit your file and send you an official degree audit evaluation within six to eight weeks. Because of the amount of applications we receive, we must process them in the order they are received to ensure they are reviewed within the specified time frame. If you have advisement questions that need to be answered before you receive your degree audit evaluation, please schedule an appointment with your faculty advisor or counselor.

    Can I submit my graduation application by fax?

    Graduation applications should be submitted through MyCollege. If you have trouble submitting your application online please contact your graduation analyst.

      What is a degree audit evaluation?

      A degree audit evaluation is an evaluation of your progress within your program of study. The evaluation will measure the courses you have completed against the requirements for your program. The evaluation will also note any requirements or documents that will need to be completed or submitted prior to your graduation. It is your responsibility to ensure that all of these requirements have been met prior to graduation. At any time during your course of study, you can run a program evaluation through the appropriate MyCollege link.

        When will I receive my degree audit evaluation?

        Students who apply within the graduation application dates published in the class schedule and online will receive their degree audit evaluation within six to eight weeks. The Graduation Office strives to process all applications within that time frame; however, late applications may be delayed.

          My advisor told me that I may be eligible to participate in the commencement ceremony even though I have one class left to complete this summer. Is this true?

          Potential graduates for the following summer with a GPA of 2.0 or better—who can demonstrate to the Graduation Office that they have two courses or less with a maximum of seven credits to be completed during the summer term—may request permission from the Graduation Office to participate in the spring ceremony. Potential summer graduates should apply for graduation. Once registered for their final summer courses, students must bring proof of registration to their graduation analyst for permission.

          Potential summer graduates who are given permission to participate in the commencement ceremony will not graduate until all requirements are completed; their names will not appear in the commencement program.

            How do I get my high school transcript on file with the College?

            An official high school transcript or equivalency (with date of completion) is required for admission to degree and diploma programs. Official transcripts should be sent to CPCC Student Records: P.O. Box 35009, Charlotte, NC 28235-5009. If you are delivering an official transcript in person, do not open the sealed envelope, as it may no longer be considered official.

              What is my catalog year and how do I get it changed?

              A catalog year is a specific set of requirements that were in effect during a given academic year. Catalog years run from the fall semester through the following summer term. Your catalog year is the set of requirements that were in effect when you were admitted to your academic program and began taking courses. If you were not enrolled in program-related courses for more than three consecutive terms; however, you must re-enroll under the catalog in effect upon your return. This may affect your program requirements.

              You may request a catalog year update from your program chair, faculty advisor or counselor. In order to remain governed under an older catalog year, you must secure approval from your division director.

              I took some courses under the quarter system that was in effect prior to 1997. Can I use these toward my degree now?

              Maybe. When the college moved from a quarter-based system to a semester system, departments established crosswalks between courses. Because of the amount of time that has passed, some of these crosswalks have expired. If you have taken courses under the quarter system, your faculty advisor can advise you as to what courses will crosswalk. Other courses may be substituted for semester courses. In some instances, you may need to take the new course.

              Because they were taken under the quarter system, the credit value of older courses must be converted for use under the semester system. The following formula is used for this calculation: Quarter credit hours ÷ 1.5 = Semester credit hours.

              What is the minimum program grade point average (GPA) needed to graduate?

              Potential graduates must have earned a minimum grade point average of 2.00 out of a possible for 4.00 in all of their program courses, including general education courses, to be eligible for graduation. Please note that some programs also have minimum grade requirements that require students to earn a grade "C" or higher in some or all courses.

                How is my program grade point average (GPA) calculated?

                Three grade point averages (GPA’s) appear on a student’s record: cumulative GPA, program GPA, and term GPA. Although they use different courses, they are all calculated using the same formula. Once graded, each course is worth a certain number of quality points. The quality points for a given course may be determined by multiplying the credit hours earned in the course by the grade value below:

                  • A = 4 points
                  • B = 3 points
                  • C = 2 points
                  • D = 1 point
                  • F = 0 points

                For example, if you earned an A grade in a 3 credit course, that course would be worth 12 quality points:

                  • 3 credits x 4 (Grade A) = 12 quality points

                To determine a program GPA, add the total quality points for all of the courses in your program. Divide that by the total credits for the courses in your program. This is your program GPA.

                  What is program residency?

                  Our policies require that a minimum number of credit hours be completed in residence at CPCC. Specific program residency minimums:

                    • Degree – a minimum of 21 credit hours must be completed in residence at CPCC
                    • Diploma – a minimum of 12 credit hours must be completed in residence at CPCC
                    • Certificate – a minimum of 30 percent of coursework must be completed in residence at CPCC

                  When is the commencement ceremony, and when will I receive information about caps and gowns?

                  One commencement ceremony is held each May. The next commencement ceremony will be held on May 17, 2018. Cap and gown orders begin in April. The Graduation Office will email detailed information on these purchases and other ceremony details to graduates and eligible potential graduates beginning in early April. Read our Commencement Ceremony Information section for more information on the ceremony.

                  Is there a deadline to participate in the graduation ceremony?

                  Yes. To participate in the graduation ceremony, graduation applications must be submitted by March 1. This guarantees processing in time to order your cap and gown. Applications submitted after March 1 are not guaranteed processing before the deadline to purchase a cap and gown for the ceremony.

                    How can I order an additional copy of my degree or diploma?

                    Additional copies of degrees and diplomas may be purchased for $20. Please contact your graduation analyst for an order form. The additional degree or diploma may take six to eight weeks to arrive.

                      I recently graduated, but haven't received my degree or diploma in the mail. When should I receive it?

                      Degrees and diplomas are mailed according to the following schedule:

                      • Spring Graduation - degrees and diplomas are mailed by August 1
                      • Summer Graduation - degrees and diplomas are mailed by September 30
                      • Fall Graduation - degrees and diplomas are mailed by February 27