FAQs Academic ESL

Site banner

Q. Who are Academic ESL classes for?
A. Academic English as a Second Language is for students for whom English is a second language, and who want more academic or professional English to further their education or their career, or for personal enrichment.  Students who are interested in entering a CPCC degree program or a university are encouraged to take these classes. These classes require tuition.

Q. What classes are offered?
A. In the core curriculum, there are four levels, beginning with Level 2. Level 2, 3 and 4 core curriculum classes include individual five-hour/week classes in reading, grammar, composition, and listening-speaking.  In Level 5, grammar and composition are combined into EFL 111 (English for Internationals I), while reading and listening-speaking are combined into EFL 112 (English for Internationals II). 

Optional 3-hour/week classes are also offered.  The classes offered most often are  a pronunciation class (Pronunciation, EFL 030E) and a course at the intermediate level that integrates reading, composition, and listening-speaking in the same class (MultiCultural Workshop, EFL 030A).  These are usually offered in spring and fall semester.  Other 3-hour classes may also be offered.

Students may take 1, 2, 3 or 4 classes in a semester.  A student who wants to take four core curriculum Academic ESL classes (a total of 19-20 semester credit hours) must get special permission for the fourth class.  Students on tourist visas may NOT take more than one Academic ESL class.  Students on F-1 student visas are required to register and pass a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester (a full-time load). 

Q. What is the procedure?
Students who have never taken a class at CPCC need to start by having a master file created in the computer.  On Central Campus, this can be done in Admissions, on the main (second) floor of the Central High building (CH 235).  Check for locations on other campuses.

Since Academic ESL (EFL prefix) classes require tuition, both new students and students who have taken (free) literacy classes need to make sure that the correct residency status is in the mainframe computer.  Students can get a copy of  NC residency information for tuition purposes at the Admissions Desk located on the 2nd floor of the Central High Building on Central Campus. Students who can show proof of required status and length of residency qualify for in-state tuition.  Tuition rates for curriculum classes are on line, and are determined by the number of credit hours for a class.   Most EFL classes are 5 hours each although some are 3.  Rates for our non-credit self-supporting classes are the same price for all students, and are also available on-line. If a student's employer is paying for the class, the employer may qualify for in-state tuition. See special handout for internationals explaining residency status. 

Once students have decided that they are interested and have a master file in the CPCC computer, direct them to the Testing Center located in Central High Building Room 248 to take Document #47 — Placement Test for Academic ESL.  Students should allow two hours to take this test.  In order for their test results to be entered in the computer, students should also be sure to write their student number on the document. 

Two days after taking the test, students can find out their results  by going to Central High Room 212 (down the hall from the Testing Center) on Central Campus. However, anyone  who can look in the computer at the Academic ESL Placement Test screen can find your results. If there are problems, they can also contact the division office at 704-330-6914

Students then register for classes through regular college registration.  Students have 5 business days to pay for their classes; if they fail to do so, they are dropped from the system and must register again.  In some cases, there may no longer be seats in the class they originally registered for.