Eligibility Requirements

To receive Federal Title IV assistance and state assistance, students must do the following:

  • Demonstrate financial need
  • Have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate on file with the College
  • Be enrolled in an eligible program of study (programs consisting of 16 credit hours or greater). In addition, Career Development, Continuing Education, course for which credit by examination has been received and/or courses being audited by the student are ineligible for financial aid. Also, you may be enrolled in one of our clock hour conversion programs. These programs fall under the regulation because all of the credit hours are not accepted in a two-year program of study. Financial aid students enrolled in these program may be prorated based on the conversion. These programs include Collision Repair & Refinishing (D60130), Computer-Integrated Machining Technology (D50210), and Dental Assisting (D45240). For more information on the Credit Clock Hour Conversion Programs, click here.
  • Be enrolled in courses that are required for the degree or certificate program you are currently enrolled in.  Federal and state grants will only pay for courses that are required for the degree or certificate program you are currently enrolled in. If a course is not required to earn your degree or certificate, the course cannot be counted as part of your financial aid enrollment.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen
  • Have a valid Social Security number
  • Make satisfactory academic progress
  • Sign a statement on the FAFSA certifying that he/she will use federal student aid for educational purposes only
  • Sign a statement on the FAFSA certifying that he/she is not in default on a federal student loan and that he/she does not owe money back on a federal student grant
  • If you have been convicted of possessing or selling illegal drugs, you must complete a Drug Conviction worksheet to determine if you are eligible to receive federal funds. To find out if Drug convictions affect your financial aid eligibility click here for more information.
  • The law suspends aid eligibility for students convicted under federal or state law of sale or possession of illegal drugs while they are receiving federal student aid. The period of ineligibility varies and depends on whether the conviction was for sale or possession, and whether the student had previous offenses. The student regains eligibility when the period of suspension ends, or in some cases, only when the student completes an acceptable drug rehabilitation program.

    If you have a conviction or convictions for these offenses, call 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) to find out how, or if, this law applies to you. Even if you're ineligible for federal aid, you should complete the FAFSA and answer Question 23 because schools use this information in awarding non-federal aid. If you leave Question 23 of the FAFSA blank, you will automatically become ineligible for federal student aid.

  • A student is considered to be incarcerated if he/she is serving a criminal sentence in a federal, state or local penitentiary, prison, jail, reformatory, work farm, or similar correctional institution. A student is not considered to be incarcerated if he/she is in a half-way house or home detention or is sentenced to serve only weekends. Incarcerated students are not eligible for federal student loans. In addition, a student incarcerated in a federal or state penal institution cannot receive a Pell Grant.

    Call 704.330.6942 or email financialaid@cpcc.edu for further information.

    When you apply for federal student aid, the U. S. Department of Education verifies some of your information with the following federal agencies:

    Social Security Administration —for verification of Social Security Numbers and U.S. citizenship status
    Selective Service System —for verification of Selective Service registration status, if applicable
    U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services —for verification of eligible non-citizen status, if applicable (formerly known as U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service, INS)
    U.S. Department of Justice —for verification that an applicant has not been denied federal student aid by the courts as the result of a drug-related conviction
    U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs —for verification of veteran status, if applicable
        • Register with Selective Service, if required
        • Not have borrowed in excess of Title IV loan limits
        • Not owe a repayment on Title IV grant or loan received for attendance at any institution
        • Not be enrolled concurrently in an elementary or secondary school
        • Not be a member of a religious community that directs the program of study or provides maintenance
        • To receive financial aid for the present academic year, a student needs to be enrolled in the current term.