Communication to Students


If you are a current student, emails should be sent from your CPCC student email account. When contacting the Financial Aid Office for information via email, please include your phone number, including area code, your student ID number and a brief message to help our staff expedite your questions. Emails which do not contain your student ID number will be returned to you for that information.


Central Piedmont Community College’s Financial Aid/Veterans’ Affairs Office official means of communicating with students is through your CPCC e-mail. Your CPCC email address is your CPCC with 7.5 MB of storage space available to you with no spam or advertisements.  Please activate your account because all communication from the Financial Aid/VA Office will be emailed to your CPCC email account.

Any Financial Aid news or updates can be viewed on the “NEWS” section of our website.  For example dates that financial aid students can purchase books will be on this section of our website.

If you have a quick question(s), please access our online chat room.  Hours of availability are on our home page.

Checking Your Financial Aid Status on your “MYCOLLEGE” Account

MYCOLLEGE is an interface that allows you to access information if you are enrolled at any of our campus locations.   It provides you with online access to your financial aid information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This convenient feature, accessible from the CPCC web site, enables you to check your outstanding requirements for financial aid and your award amounts. Click on "Log In" at the top of the MyCollege page and follow the directions to log in to your account information. You can also have the following access to:

  • Register for classes online
  • Search course offerings
  • Evaluate progress towards your current goals (Program Evaluation)
  • View your Account Summary by term
  • Obtain Final Grades
  • Get your class schedule
  • View your Financial Aid status/award letter status by year
  • View your Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Status by term

You may access information about your outstanding requirements by following the steps below.

  • Click on the link to MyCollege from the CPCC home page and log in to your account.
  • Select "My Documents" on the Financial Aid menu on the left-hand side of the screen.

For Financial Aid purposes, if all your documents show “Received” or “Waived” for the current school year, your file is complete and our staff is working on awarding your financial aid.    Once a file is complete, you can view your financial aid award letter on MYCOLLEGE.  You will receive an email letting you know your file is complete and you can view your award letter on your MYCOLLEGE account.

  • Click on the link to College from the CPCC home page and log in to your account.
  • Select "Financial Aid Award Letter" on the Financial Aid menu on the left-hand side of the screen.
  • Select " Year 2017" for the 2017-2018 year (Fall 2017, Spring 2018 and Summer 2018 terms). Click Submit.

If you have problems accessing your MYCOLLEGE account, contact the CPCC Helpdesk at: 704.330.5000 or email: