Vehicle Purchase: Tags, Title, and Insurance
The Department that purchases the vehicle is responsible for the accurate titling, DMV registration and obtaining license plate from the NC DMV.
- Create requisition to purchase vehicle
- Complete title request for DMV
- Acquire proper license plate from DMV
- Annual renewal of vehicle registration unless vehicle has permanent registration certificate
- Annual payment of property taxes or other fees associated with each vehicle
Vehicles to be used for instruction purposes and purchased with state funds should be titled as follows:
State Board of Community Colleges - 818
5013 Mail Service Center
Office Location 258E
Raleigh, NC 27699-5013
- Mecklenburg County should be listed on registration form (Not Wake).
- Recommend using DMV at the Brookshire Blvd location and request they use the correct CODE for STATE VEHICLES.
2. Vehicles to be used in the operation of the college and purchased with non-state funds should be titled as follows:
Central Piedmont Community College
PO Box 35009
Vehicle Title Storage
State Titled Vehicles
- The State keeps the original vehicle title
- Office of the VP of Finance & Administrative Services keeps a copy of the Vehicle title in CPCC's safe deposit box at the bank
- Individual Departments keep a copy for their records
- Enterprise Risk Management keeps a copy for insurance records
- Inventory Control keeps copy for their records
County Titled Vehicles
- The original vehicle title is sent to Office of the VP of Finance & Administrative Services for storage in CPCC's safe deposit box at the bank
- Copy of vehicle title for Inventory Control records
- Send copy of vehicle title and vehicle registration to Enterprise Risk Management for audit purposes
Proof of automobile insurance will be provided to the purchasing department. Please provide the following information to Enterprise Risk Management:
- Effective date (the date the department took delivery of the vehicle.
- VIN #
- Cost of the vehicle new
- Funding source (county or state)