The CPCC All Hazards Emergency Response Plan provides procedures for the safe and orderly evacuation of effected areas in case of fire or other emergencies. In some incidents, personnel may need to “Shelter in Place” such as a hazardous material spill or weather related emergency. The role of staff members during evacuation or “Shelter in Place” is important in the safety of students, visitors and other personnel.
Staff members should:
- Become familiar with the “What to Do in an Emergency” Emergency Card before an emergency occurs. This information is posted on the CPCC Website or you may request a copy from the CPCC Health and Safety Office.
- Become familiar the evacuation route/fire exit plan posted in your area.
- In the event of an evacuation, assist in directing visitors and students to the designated assembly point for your building.
- Review the procedure for Assisting Persons with Disabilities in the Emergency Evacuation Plan.
- In the event of a need to “Shelter in Place”, remain in your work area until instructed to move by Security, the Building Emergency Captain or other emergency personnel. If students are in your area at the time, instruct them to do the same.
- If you are instructed to shelter in place, close all windows and stay away from windows. You may be instructed to move to a safer location, i.e., an interior room or a lower floor.