What is a master and a shell?
- are automatically created in Blackboard each semester for all courses.
- include the instructor of record (from Datatel course document)
- automatically add officially enrolled students, usually around 12:01am on the start date of the course
- automatically disable all officially withdrawn students; their activity, assignments, etc. are retained, but hidden
- are automatically archived after each semester and retained for at least two years.
- are accessible to faculty within the LMS for two years, after which they are archived a second time and removed from the LMS.
- for Moodle must be requested; visit the Course Administrative Webtools area (the CAW); network login is required; click on "Request shells" and follow the directions
- are not required; development can occur directly in a course shell if it's available
- are for development purposes only; students are never enrolled
- can be created for individual instructors or for divisions and the content then copied into shells as desired
- remain available and visible in the LMS, unlike shells which are available for two years, after which they are archived and no longer accessible
- to request a master, visit the Course Administrative Webtools area (the CAW); network login is required; select either Blackboard or Moodle; then click on "Request master" and follow the directions