Student Rights and Responsibilities

Student Rights

As a student with a disability, you have the right to:

  • An equal opportunity to learn. If the location, delivery system, or instructional method limit your access, participation, or ability to benefit, you have a right to reasonable alterations in those aspects of the course (or program) to accommodate your disability, as long as it does not change the fundamental requirements of the course or curriculum. Each request for an accommodation is judged on a case-by-case basis. Examples of accommodations include but are not limited to: Extending the time limit on a test for a student, allowing a student to test in a distraction reduced area or room, providing an interpreter for a student with hearing loss.
  • An equal opportunity to participate in and benefit from the academic community. This includes access to services at a comparable level as that provided to any student.

Student Responsibilities

For a student with a disability who is seeking services from Disability Services, it is the student's responsibility to:

  • Provide documentation from an appropriate professional that includes: The nature of the student's disability that includes the diagnosis or diagnoses and how the disability affects the student's learning ability and/or daily living.
      • Meet and maintain the college's fundamental academic and technical standards
      • Notify Disability Services each term the student is enrolled and taking classes at CPCC
      • Request Accommodation Forms from Disability Services at the beginning of each term; these forms are used to notify instructors of any type of accommodation that is needed in the student's class(es)


      Tip for Success: Students with disabilities are encouraged to meet with their instructors. You know your disability and are the best one to explain your own coping strategies. Don't wait for a problem to arise--not only will this put you at ease, but it will help the instructor in understanding and meeting your individual needs. Clearly state what accommodation(s) you require and that have been approved by Disability Services.


      Any complaints about accommodations (physical access, interpreters, notetakers, unwillingness of faculty to accommodate your required needs, etc.) should be submitted to the Director of Disability Services, Serena Johnson at 704-330-2722 x3461 or