Chapter 11 Review
Breaking Through, 9th ed. Chapter 11 Review
1. Do you know what critical readers do?
2. Are you able to recognize the author’s purpose or intent?
3. Do you know the three common purposes for writing? Are you familiar with the terms inform, persuade, and entertain? Have you completed Exercises 1 & 2, pgs. 484-486?
4. Are you able to recognize the author’s point of view or bias? Are you familiar with these terms?
5. Have you practiced expressing one side of an issue, and have you completed Exercises 3 & 4, pgs. 488-491?
6. Have you studied how to recognize the author’s tone?
7. Have you taken a close look at the terms from the Reader’s Tip Box (pg. 492) on recognizing the author’s tone? Did you practice by completing exercises 5 & 6, pgs. 493- 498. You should familiarize yourself with these terms. You may see them on the test.
8. Are you able to distinguish fact from opinion? Are you familiar with these terms? Make sure that you have practiced by completing exercises 7 & 8, pgs. 498 & 501.
9. Have you studied the information about recognizing valid and invalid support for arguments? Do you have an understanding of the terms fallacy and propaganda? Make sure that you completed Exercise 9, pg.501-502.
10. Make sure that you have practiced you critical thinking skills by completing Exercise 10, pgs. 502-508.