Why should I combine shells?
Potential advantages of combining shells:
- Saving time and effort -- the creation and maintenance of one course website versus separate courses for each section; all of your improvements and modifications are consolidated in one shell;
- Greater accuracy -- doing things only once reduces the chance of making errors;
- Consistency of content for all sections -- be confident that all of your students are getting the same information;
- Leaverage your creative efforts -- create special documents, study guides, or layouts that benefit allof your students;
- Increase diversity: of people, of opinion -- you have the option to involve all of your course sections in common discussions and group work;
- Emailing all of your students or an individual student is easy
Potential challenges of combining shells:
- The Grade Center default view includes all the students, alphabetically organized, from the shells that were combined. You should create "Smart Views" for each individual section.
- Separating students according to sections requires some initial settings
that should worth the effort. Placing each section in a different group
makes it possible to:
- Keep discussions separate between section
- View grades by section
- Email students by section