Frequently Asked Questions

Q: On which campus are the Architectural Technology courses taught and can I complete a program  part-time?

A: All major courses are offered at the Central Campus (uptown location), online, or at the Harper Campus. However, you may elect to complete required general education courses at any campus. The A.A.S. degree program can be completed in as few as five semesters by full-time students following the recommended course sequence outlined under Programs of Study. However, the program may be completed on a part-time basis as your schedule allows.

Q: Okay, now that I have decided to attend CPCC, what's do I do next?

A: Everyone interested in attending CPCC must first apply for admission to the college. This can be easily completed online. There is no charge for applying and there is no obligation to attend.

Q: What is the cost of the program?

A: For NC residents, we typically advise new students to budget approximately $225.00 per course. In most cases, This should cover all tuition and fees. The cost for non-residents is substantially higher. Current tuition and fees are posted on the CPCC Cashier's Office website.

In addition to tuition and fees, students should also expect to spend approximately $150.00-$200.00 per course on books and materials.

To be considered a resident of North Carolina, you must have lived in the state for one year or more. If you have questions concerning your residency status please contact the Admissions Office. Note that the costs shown above do not include lab fees, cap fees, activity fees, materials, or books. All costs are subject to change without notice.

Q: I have previous college credit. Will this apply to the program?

A: There is a good chance that some credit hours completed both here and at other colleges/universities will apply to our programs. Students transferring in credit from other colleges or universities must have a transcript sent directly from that institution to the CPCC student records office. Additionally, in order for transcripts to be evaluated, the Request for Transcript Evaluation form must be filed. For questions concerning the transcript evaluation process, contact the admissions office.

Q: When do I register and when do classes begin?

A: Early registration for the fall semester usually begins in May and regular registration for fall is during July & August. Early spring semester registration usually begins in mid November with regular spring registration in January. Fall classes begin in August and spring classes begin in mid January. Refer to the CPCC academic calendars for exact dates. REGISTER AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE, MANY OF OUR CLASSES ARE IN HIGH DEMAND AND FILL VERY QUICKLY.

Architectural Technology Program FAQs

Q: Can I complete a degree or certificate at night and online?

A: Yes. We offer many evening and online classes. Students wishing to complete any of our programs through night classes only should allow at least twice the amount of time shown on the course lists and take a maximum of one or two courses per semester. Also, keep in mind that some courses are only offered once a year and are typically alternated between days and evenings.

Q: What types of jobs will I be qualified for upon completion of the AAS degree in Architectural Technology?

A: A drafting/CAD technician in an architectural or engineering office is often the first professional position for our graduates. In addition, there are many other employment opportunities throughout the design/construction industry that graduates may qualify for including entry-level construction management, specification writing, facility management, generation of manufacturer's shop drawings, government (planning), construction material sales, etc.

Q: What is a Drafting/CAD Technician?

A: A drafting/CAD technician (also often referred to as a designer), works under the supervision of an architect or engineer to produce drawings and documents from which buildings are constructed. A successful technician will have a working knowledge of construction materials and techniques as well as both hand and computer drawing abilities.

Q: What is the future job outlook?

A: The strength of the design/construction industry is closely linked to a region's economy. Currently construction starts are strong and the foreseeable future looks quite good for our area.

Q: Does the AAS in Architectural Technology transfer to an accredited four or five-year architecture program?

A: We are in the process of developing an articulation path. For now, students who complete the AAS in Architectural Technology will be eligible to enter a Bachelor of Engineering Technology (BET) program as a junior. UNC-Charlotte offers the closest BET program. Students can also enter Interior Architecture programs (UNC Greensboro and Queens University) as juniors with a successful portfolio review. Students can also transfer into Industrial Design, Construction Management, or Technical Operations majors at East Carolina University or Western Carolina University. North Carolina A&T State University has an Architectural Engineering program that our students can enter into with advanced standing. Finally, students can transfer into Appalachian State University's Building Science Major (Architectural Technology Concentration). Upon completion of a BA degree at any of these institutions, a graduate may then apply to a three-year master of architecture program. If successfully completed, this track will enable a student to receive a Master of Architecture in as few as seven years. Students who wish to pursue a BA degree must work closely with a faculty advisor to ensure that all work required for entry into the future program is completed.

First Step to Enroll

Before registering, new and prospective students should contact the Program Office or the Program Chair.