Studies in Architectural Technology prepare individuals with knowledge and skills that can lead to employment in the field of architecture or one of its associated professions. The Architectural Technology curriculum at Central Piedmont Community College includes an emphasis on computer-aided drafting (CAD) and related computer courses to prepare graduates for employment in the expanding CAD area within the field of Architectural Technology.
Students receive instruction in construction document preparation, materials and methods, environmental and structural systems, building codes and specifications, and computer applications, and also complete a design project. Coursework also includes the principles of sustainable and green design. Optional courses may be provided to suit specific career needs.
Upon completion, graduates qualify for careers within the architectural, engineering and construction professions, as well as positions in industry and government. Recent graduates are offered and pursue career opportunities in the fields of architecture, residential design, engineering, construction and facility management.
Earn a Degree in Architectural Technology or a Pre-Architecture Diploma
- Associate of Applied Science
- The Associate of Applied Science Degree - Architectural Technology is awarded by the college upon completion of the program.
- Pre-Architecture Diploma
- In addition to the AAS degree, students have the option of pursuing the Pre-Architecture Diploma
Earn a Certificate in CADD or Residential Architectural Technology
- Computer Aided Design/Drafting
- This certificate will prepare students for entry-level CAD drafting positions within the fields of architecture and/or interior design. Coursework includes basic architectural drafting techniques, reading construction documents, 2D and 3D CAD drawings, rendering, modeling, animation and creating video of building interiors and exteriors. Careful planning should allow the student to complete this certificate in three to four semesters.
- Residential Architectural Technology
- The Residential Architectural Technology Certificate is an approved Technical Education Pathway program for high school students interested in the field of architecture. This program is designed to give students basic hands-on experience in manual drafting and sketching, CAD drafting and residential design. Required coursework includes the study of construction techniques, terminology and related topics. Careful planning should allow the student to complete this certificate in two to three semesters.