- Always be alert and aware of the people around you.
- Educate yourself concerning prevention tactics.
- Be aware of locations and situations which would make you vulnerable to crime. Examples are alleys and dark parking lots.
- Be alert to your surroundings and the people around you, especially if you are alone or if it is dark.
- When possible, go with a friend.
- Stay in well-lighted areas as much as possible.
- Walk close to the curb. Avoid doorways, bushes and alleys where someone could hide.
- Walk confidently and at a steady pace.
- Make eye contact with people when walking.
- Do not respond to conversation from strangers on the street. Continue walking.
- If you carry a purse, hold it securely between your arm and your body.