College Security Services

Employee/Faculty Safety and Security Concerns

1. What do I do if I get to my classroom, and it’s locked? On any campus, call College Security Services at 6911* and a College Security officer** will be dispatched to unlock the door.

2. What do I do if a student gets sick or has a seizure in my class? On any campus, call College Security Services at 6911*. The  College Security dispatcher will contact the community 911 emergency responder as needed and also dispatch a College Security officer** to remain on the scene until the emergency responder arrives.

3. What if I’m uncomfortable walking to my car in the parking lot, especially at night? On any campus, call College Security Services at 6911* to request an escort. You may also advise any College Security personnel** that you see en route and ask them for assistance.

4. What do I do if I feel a student is stalking me? On any campus, call College Security Services at 6911*. They will advise you as to procedures for reporting the incident to the appropriate law enforcement agency and will work with you regarding escorts to your vehicles or other remote parts of campuses.

5. What do I do if I feel threatened in class or afterward by a student? Call College Security Services at 6911* and College Security personnel** will be dispatched to your classroom or will contact you to discuss the situation further. Security works with the Associate Vice President for Student Services to determine if actions should be taken to suspend or ban the student from campuses. Be sure to send a copy of the written incident report to your immediate supervisor.

6. How can I find out if my classes are cancelled or if the college is closed for bad weather? In the event of inclement weather or other emergency situations, all members of the College should listen to area radio and television stations for announcements regarding the operation of the College. In addition, the CPCC website will have an announcement regarding closings. CPCC TV 17 will announce any closing or delays as well. When the College closes, all classes at all campuses are cancelled.

7. What can I do if I have a lot of materials to unload for my class, and I need to temporarily park as close to the building as possible? You can park in the loading zone of the building for 20 minutes or call College Security Services at 6632* and they will dispatch a Preferred Parking attendant to assist you if you have problems with finding an area to unload.

8. What if I want to get into a building on the weekend to do some work?
. If you want to access a building on the weekend that is already open for College business, you may enter the unlocked building and proceed to your office.

b. If the College, the individual campus, or individual building is closed, exempt employees may request access from the College Security Services Department by calling 704-330-6632, and by presenting their College ID, or a valid picture ID (Driver’s License or other official ID). Non-exempt employees shall request access from the same department, in the same fashion, only upon approval of their director, manager, supervisor, or other applicable authority. All persons granted access must notify College Security Services, via the same phone number, when they are ready to exit the building, for the structure to be re-alarmed and locked.

c. Holiday Breaks / Winter Break / College Declared Closed - During these periods not only will buildings be closed, multiple building support systems including temperature controls will be shut off, and remain shut off, to conserve energy. Therefore, a person granted access during these time periods should be prepared to adjust accordingly. During these times access to campuses other than the Central Campus will NOT be provided. Central Campus due to having greater security and police resources will grant limited access, and will do so with stricter limitations. Prior authorization is required. Such authorization can be obtained by exempt personnel advising via email the College  Security Services Department prior to the time they will need access, for themselves or a subordinate(s). A confirmation of receiving the request will be sent as an email reply (it is best to print and bring that reply with you on the day you will need access).

The best way to guarantee access is to notify by email the following chain of command:

  • Timothy L. (TL) Smith – Director of Campus Security:  Central Campus and WTVI - PBS Charlotte: tl.smith@cpcc.edu

Note: Nothing in the procedure described herein is designed to interfere with operational personnel whom due to their responsibilities must have access, such as members of the maintenance, emergency management, horticulture, and other departments, which have an existing agreement with College Security Services, and other key individuals with critical mission support roles.


9. How long can I expect to wait if I call Security for help? Three (3) minutes for emergencies and fifteen (15) minutes for non emergencies.

10. How do I get a parking pass for a guest speaker? Call College Security Services at extension 6632* and they will contact Preferred Parking Services.

11. What do I do when the fire alarm goes off? When you hear the fire alarm, begin immediate evacuation using the closest EXIT - even if no one advises you to leave. Do not use the elevators. Instructors should ensure all students have exited prior to leaving. Remain at least 300 feet from the building in the designated assembly area. Do not reenter the building until instructed to do so by emergency responders, College Security Services, or Building Emergency Captains.

12. What do I do if there’s a bomb threat in my building? Proceed as instructed by College Security Services or emergency personnel. Do not use cell phones or other electronic devices if you are within 150 feet of a potential bomb. If you receive a bomb threat by phone, when you hang up, immediately dial 9*57 or *57 from a non-campus phone to electronically flag the call. If the phone number is displayed on your phone, record that number. Notify College Security Services at extension 6911* and proceed as directed.

13. What do I do if students are fighting in my classroom or in the hall? Call College Security Services at 6911* and College Security personnel** will be dispatched to the scene. DO NOT try to handle the situation yourself.

14. What if my classroom is too hot or too cold? Dial extension 6000 (704.330.6000 from a non-campus phone) and report the location.

15. Can I ask a student to leave my class if he/she is disruptive? What if he/she refuses to leave? You may ask a student to leave if he/she is disruptive. DO NOT attempt to handle the situation yourself! If the student does not leave when asked, call or have someone call College Security Services at 6911*. If the disruption is severe, dismiss the entire class and contact College Security Services at 6911*. Be sure to send the written incident report to your immediate supervisor, and the Associate Vice President for Student Services.

16. Can I ask a student to leave my class if I feel he/she is too sick or too contagious? You may NOT request that a student leave your class if you feel he/she is too sick or contagious. Per CPCC Policy 6.0, Persons who know or who have reason to believe they are infected with a communicable disease have an obligation to conduct themselves in accordance with such knowledge in order to protect themselves and others. Students and employees who have communicable diseases, whether symptomatic or not, shall be allowed regular classroom and work attendance in a non-restrictive manner as long as they are able to attend classes and/or work and do not pose a medically proven threat for transmission of the disease or condition.

17. What do I do if I have a personal emergency and can’t get to my class? Notify your immediate supervisor as soon as possible for further direction.

18. What do I do if I see students vandalizing the building? Immediately report the incident to College Security Services at 6911*.

19. How do I find out what procedures to follow if my campus is locked down for a day or more due to the rapid spread of a disease or some other emergency? Students and staff can receive available information through the CPCC website and CPCC TV.

20. Can I lock a student out of my class for being late for class? Can I lock a student out of my class for being disrespectful to me? How do students know what kind of behavior is expected of them on CPCC’s campuses? All instructors should have a syllabus complete with class rules and consequences based on CPCC Student and Faculty Policies and Procedures.

21. For a three-hour class, how many breaks, if any, should I give my class? How long should they be? Rules for breaks vary based on the course. Contact your department to find out which rules apply to your course.

22. What if a student is sending me numerous e-mails that are beginning to be suggestive or more than a student-instructor relationship? Report the incident(s) to your immediate supervisor. Proceed as instructed by your supervisor.

23. What if a student isn’t happy with the grade he earned in my class and threatens me with harm if I don’t change the grade? Report the incident to your immediate supervisor and College Security Services.

24. We have fire drills, but do we ever have tornado drills, and what do I do if such a natural disaster occurs during one of my classes? We do not have tornado drills at this time. If a tornado warning is issued by the National Weather Service for the area, you will be notified by email, CPCC website, and CPCC TV and instructed to move to a safe location in your building. College Security Services and Building Emergency Captains will notify classes in session of the warning. Safe locations include lower levels and interior corridors of the building, away from glassed areas such as windows, doors, and skylights. Move out of areas with a wide roof expanse (gymnasiums, auditoriums).

25. If I have any kind of problem, who is the main contact person in the evening at my campus? If it is a safety or security issue, call College Security Services at extension 6911*. For other issues, contact the Evening Director for your campus.

26. What if I have a housekeeping problem—no paper towels in the restroom, a spilled soft drink in my class, and other such incidents? Between 7 a.m. and 3 p.m., call Facilities Services’ Customer Service Desk at 6000 (704.330.6000 from a non-campus phone). During other hours, if the housekeeping or maintenance issue can wait until the next business day to be addressed, call 6000 and leave a message. If it cannot wait until the next business day (e.g., no electrical power, burst or leaking water pipe, situation that causes a safety hazard, etc), contact College Security Services at 6911*. They will notify Facilities Management personnel who are on-call.

27. What should I do if I see evidence of possible fraudulent or corrupt activity such as arson, theft, damage, embezzlement or misuse of College property? Under state law and per CPCC Policy 4.72, employees are required to report this information to his/her immediate supervisor within three days and must file a written report with CPCC Security Services.

*From a non-campus phone, dial 704.330.6911 to reach College Security Services.
**College Security Services personnel include: CPCC College Security employees, contract security officers from Allied Universal Security, and off-duty law enforcement officers.