1098-T Statements


The Internal Revenue Service requires Central Piedmont Community College (CPCC) to report qualified tuition and expenses and scholarships and grants invoiced or posted to all degree-seeking students’ accounts on Form 1098-T. The 1098-T is an information return that assists students in computing certain education tax credits or deductions for which they may be eligible when they file annual income tax returns.

Students have instant access to their Form 1098-T Tuition Statement. By providing consent to receive your 1098-T Tuition Statement electronically, you will be able to access and print your 1098-T as soon as it is available and will no longer receive the form in the mail.

If you would like electronic delivery and instant online access to the form 1098-T statement, you should log into MyCollege (student menu > financial information) and provide consent using the 1098-T Electronic Consent option.

For tax information, please visit the IRS Publication 970 where detailed information is provided about tax benefits for education. For additional information and guidance, contact your professional tax preparer.

We will mail Form 1098-T no later than January 31 each year to those who do not consent to receive Form 1098-T electronically.


What is Form 1098-T?

  • We are required by IRS Section 1.65050S-1 to send Form 1098-T to students for whom qualified tuition and fees were invoiced (or billed) during the calendar year.

Why did I receive Form 1098-T?

  • Form 1098-T has been provided to assist in determining if you (or an individual who may claim you as a dependent) are eligible to claim a Hope Scholarship or Lifetime Learning Credit on the income tax return.

Why did I NOT receive Form 1098-T?

There are several possibilities:

  • The IRS does not require us to send you one if your scholarship and aid (including formal billing arrangements with employers, government agencies, etc.) exceeded the invoiced amount.
  • You attended in Spring Semester, but you had enrolled and been invoiced in prior calendar year.
  • We do not have a valid United States mailing address or Social Security Number on file for you. Please visit Student Records to access the Request for Student’s Taxpayer Identification Number form and remit to any CPCC Campus Registration/Records Office.
  • Your invoiced amounts consisted of only non-credit courses. We do not send form 1098-T to CCE students.
  • You gave consent to opt out of paper delivery of the form using MyCollege

Where was my form mailed?

  • Your 1098-T form is mailed to the address you provide to the Student Records Office.

I viewed my 1098-T online. Will I get a copy in the mail?

  • No. By providing consent to view your 1098-T online, you opted out of receiving a paper copy.

Is the 1098-T form I printed from MyCollege valid?

  • Absolutely. The 1098-T form from MyCollege is an IRS-approved substitute.

I paid $1,100 last year. Why does my 1098-T only reporting $800 in Box 2?

  • Your 1098-T will show the amount invoiced to your student account from January 1 - December 31 of the tax year, not the amount paid.

I registered in November for Spring classes. Is that amount reflected on my 1098-T?

  • Yes. Your 1098-T will report any amount invoiced to your account from January 1 to December 31 of the tax year, not the amount paid. Box 7 will be checked on your form showing that your amount in Box 2 includes amounts for terms beginning in the first three months of the next year.

I registered in November for Spring classes and I did not receive a 1098-T. Why?

  • The IRS only requires us to send 1098-T forms to students who were enrolled or attended classes during the tax year. If the upcoming spring semester is your first time enrolled or if you did not enroll or attend classes during the last calendar year, you will not receive a 1098-T.

My address is wrong. Can I get another copy printed?

  • No, but you can access and print a copy of your 1098-T by logging into MyCollege. The Cashiers Office cannot reprint tax forms. Please update/correct your mailing address with the Student Records Office or "opt-out" of paper delivery.

What about books? Why they are not included?

  • Only qualified tuition and expenses are reported on your 1098-T. Please consult your professional tax advisor with questions regarding "qualified expenses."

Why does the 1098-T form show billed amounts instead of payments?

  • The IRS requires us to choose one reporting method. The college, along with all other North Carolina Community Colleges, chose to report the amount billed, not the amount paid.

If I receive Form 1098-T, does it mean I qualify for the Hope Scholarship or Lifetime Learning Tax Credits?

  • Not necessarily. We are required to provide Form 1098-T to those who were billed for qualified tuition and fees during the calendar year. Please consult your professional tax advisor to make an individual determination.

How do I determine which expenses will qualify for the Hope Scholarship and Lifetime Learning Credits?

  • Please consult your professional tax advisor for additional information.

What do the amounts located on the form represent?

  • Box 2 represents the amount of qualified invoiced tuition and expenses for calendar dates Jan. 1 through Dec. 31. Box 4 represents any adjustments made for prior year. Box 5 represents the total of all scholarships or grants administered and processed by us, as well as the total of any tuition or fees that were paid by a sponsor on the student's behalf through a formal sponsorship agreement. The amount of scholarships or grants for the calendar year (including those not reported by the institution) may reduce the amount of any allowable tuition and fees deduction or the education credit you may claim for the year. Box 6 represents adjustments to scholarship or grants for a prior year. Box 7 is checked only if you have been billed prior to Dec. 31 for any qualified tuition for the spring semester. Box 8 is only checked if you have been a half-time student (six credit hours) for at least one academic period that began during the calendar year.

Do I need to provide my social security number?

  • Per state, federal, and Internal Revenue Service (IRS) guidelines, beginning 2014, we will request that all students provide their social security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) for reporting purposes.

Why is my SSN/ITIN being requested?

  • Per state, federal, and Internal Revenue Service guidelines, we are required to verify social security numbers (SSN) and individual taxpayer identification numbers (ITIN) annually for accurate tax reporting on 1098-T forms. Having an accurate SSN/ITIN on tax forms supports the tax deduction that a student or family may claim for qualified educational expenses on both federal and state income tax returns. Failure to provide us with an SSN/ITIN may result in the student being fined by the IRS in accordance with Internal Revenue Code Section 6723

How do I verify my SSN/ITIN?

  • When students login to My College, a pop-up message may appear requesting the student to verify his/her SSN/ITIN. A confirmation that the SSN/ITIN matches CPCC records will appear. If the student’s SSN/ITIN does not match CPCC records, the student will be alerted and an email will be sent to the student’s CPCC email address.

Can I verify or update my SSN/ITIN information using another method?

  • To make the verification process simple for students, CPCC is requesting that all students use the My College online pop up tool to verify their SSN/ITIN information. If a student is unable to complete the verification online, please present all the documents below to any CPCC Campus Registration/Student Records Office or mail to Office of Student Records Central Piedmont Community College P.O. Box 35009 Charlotte, NC 28235-5009
  • Documents Required:
  • Completed request for student’s taxpayer identification number
  • SSN card, or ITIN card, or ITIN authorization letter
  • Photo identification (SSN information MUST NOT be emailed).

What do I do if my SSN/ITIN does not match CPCC’s records?

  • To update SSN/ITIN records, please bring a completed Request for Student’s Tax Payer Identification Number Form, SSN/ITIN card or ITIN authorization letter, and photo identification to any campus Registration/Student Records Office.

How do I decline to provide my SSN/ITIN and what happens if I do not provide my SSN/ITIN?

  • Students can decline to provide their SSN/ITIN on the request for student’s taxpayer identification number form.
  • Failure to provide CPCC with an SSN/ITIN may result in the student being fined by the IRS in accordance with Internal Revenue Code Section 6723.
  • Those who select this option and later decide that they would like to verify their SSN/ITIN information can do so in person at any Campus Registrar/Records Office. Please refer to the verification instructions listed under “Can I verify or update my SSN/ITIN information using another method?”

I am not required to have an SSN/ITIN. What do I need to do?

Does CPCC fine students for not providing an SSN/ITIN?

  • CPCC does not fine students if they do not provide an SSN/ITIN; however, the IRS may fine students who have not provided CPCC with an SSN/ITI, in accordance with Internal Revenue Code Section 6723.

How often will I be asked to verify my SSN/ITIN?

  • CPCC will request that students verify their SSN/ITIN annually.

Who will my SSN/ITIN be shared with?

Are my FERPA rights being protected?

  • Central Piedmont Community College fully complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), also known as the “Buckley Amendment” and therefore, does not release educational records or personal identifying information unless authorized or unless required for state and federal reporting.

I received an email from cashier@cpcc.edu or records@cpcc.edu . Are these legitimate email address?

  • Some of the emails we send are processed systematically on behalf of the Cashiering Business Office; therefore you may receive emails from these addresses. Although CPCC may communicate with students regarding the 1098-T verification process by email, the college will not request students to send or update your SSN/ITIN information by email.

Who do I contact with questions regarding CPCC’s request for SSN/ITIN?

  • Please contact the CPCC Cashier’s Business Office at cashier@cpcc.edu or 704-330-6964. You may also visit any Campus Cashiering Office.