Advising AFA – Music students

Which program –A1020D or A10200?

This should be determined early in their studies. If students change programs late in the process,they may find themselves not having all courses needed for graduation (eg. A10200 requires a computer course, A1020D does not).

Students should be enrolled in A1020D (AFA – pre-major in Music) unless they are ineligible (They are ineligible if they transfer in any courses from outside the NC system, or there is ANY course substitution involved, including CPCC quarter‐to‐semester course substitutions). Students who cannot be enrolled in A1020D should be placed into A10200. If you have a student who is in the wrong program, they should be changed as soon as possible.

Catalog year

When students first enter a program of study, they are governed by the requirements of the current CPCC catalog. As long as a student continues without a break in study (not more than 1 term without taking courses)they can continue under the same requirements. If a student has a lapse in their course of study,they must have their catalog year revised to reflect the current catalog in effect when they return to CPCC. A student has the option of changing their catalog year to a later year if it is to their advantage. If a particular college course was added to the CPCC catalog in subsequent years,they will need to either update their catalog year OR have the course substituted in order for it to apply to their program. (For example, a student who is currently under the 2003 catalog who took MUS 173 –Opera Production, which was added later, will need to update the catalog year OR have the course substituted as a generic ensemble under the 2003 catalog).

Transfer of credits / transcripts

Students who have completed college‐level courses at another institution should have official transcripts sent to the Student Records office here at CPCC. If they want to have the courses applied to their record here,they must fill out a form to request that the transcripts evaluated (forms available online and at the Student Records office). Courses in which a student earned a “C” or above at regionally‐accredited institutions that are comparable to a course in our catalog will be transferred in, and will appear on the student’s record with the corresponding CPCC course number. Transcripts of study in other countries must go through a different evaluation process. These students should be referred to the CPCC catalog or Registration for more information.

Students must submit an official copy of their high school transcript to the records office in order to receive a degree from CPCC. If a student has a college‐level degree (Associate or higher) an official transcript showing degree conferral may be accepted in lieu of a high school transcript.

Applied Music Auditions

Students who wish to audition for applied music study should meet with a music faculty member to discuss their background and give them some guidance on selecting a piece to prepare. Students can sign up for an audition by contacting a the Music Department Chair.

Concurrent enrollment students

Students who are under 18 and concurrently enrolled in high‐school and college‐level courses must register through their concurrent enrollment contact in admissions/registration. They may take courses (typically no more than 6 to 9 hours in fall and spring), but are not eligible to be admitted to a degree program prior to high school completion.

In‐state residence requirements

In order to qualify for in‐state tuition rates, the student must have established and maintained a legal residence in NC for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the start of the term. The responsibility for proving their status rests with the student. Various documents are used in combination, and reviews are handled on a case‐by‐case basis. Students can find more information on the CPCC website. They can meet with someone for more information or to review their status at the Admissions & Registration offices (2nd floor of the Central High Building).

Placement testing/developmental courses

Students who have not taken CPCC’s placement tests in reading/writing/math should be encouraged to do so early in their studies. If they have placed into developmental‐level courses (ENG/MAT/RED) lower than 100‐level,they should begin taking these as soon as possible to develop the skills necessary for college‐level coursework.

Course loads:

Full‐time status is 12 hours for fall and spring terms, and nine hours for summer terms. Overlapping and/or short‐term courses all count into the total number. Overloads (more than 18 hours in fall and spring, or more than 13 hours in summer term) require special permission. Students seeking approval for 19‐20 hours during fall & spring terms (14‐15 hours) must secure permission from the program or division director. Students wanting to take 21 hours or more (16 in summer term) can only be given permission by the appropriate instructional dean.

Residency for degree

Students must complete a minimum of 21 semester hours at CPCC in order to earn a degree from the college.

Consortium agreement

CPCC participates in the Charlotte Area Educational Consortium with several colleges and universities in our area, such as Queens University and UNC‐Charlotte. Under this agreement, students who are enrolled in a college degree course who cannot take a specific, appropriate course that is required in their program here at CPCC, may receive approval on a case‐by‐case basis to take a specific course at another institution. For example, a student who is a woodwind player and wants to go into music education to be a band director might ask to take band as an ensemble at Queens University. All approvals, arrangements and paperwork are handled here at CPCC for our students. The course will actually appear on a CPCC transcript with our course equivalent number and NOT on the other institution’s transcript. Fees will be charged by CPCC at our regular tuition rates. Requests should be reviewed and approved by the discipline chair and then referred to Greg Stanley in Admissions and Registration (Central high Building ‐2nd floor) for review and approval. Requests are usually not given for courses that a student can take at CPCC.

Transferring to a 4‐year institution

Courses in the AFA curriculum for which a student earned a “C” or above will transfer to NC system institutions. Since the AFA degree requires fewer general education hours than is the norm for other associate degrees,the student is not guaranteed to have met all general education requirements when they transfer like they are with Associate in Arts or an Associate in Science degrees. They may have to take some additional general education hours. In practice,some 4‐year schools choose to waive these if the student is admitted as a music major. In the NC system institutions,music courses are initially transferred in as electives, and the music faculty will determine how they apply to the music major course of study following placement tests. Generally, a student can only apply 64 hours earned at a community college toward a degree at NC system schools. Private and out‐of‐state institutions may accept more hours.

Practice Room Access Cards

The music department has practice rooms available for enrolled music students. The practice rooms are controlled through an electronic locking system monitored by Security Services. You must have an Access Card to gain entry to a practice room.

Access Cards are distributed by music faculty teaching theory or ensemble courses. If you are a music student and would like an Access Card, please request one through one of your music instructors. Your music instructor will have you fill out an Agreement Form prior to issuing you an Access Card.

If you are a  CPCC student but you are not a music major or if you are not enrolled in a music class but would like access to the Practice Rooms, please contact the music department chair. Access may be given at the discretion of the music department chair. Non-music students still need to complete an Access Card Agreement Form and will only have access the the practice rooms on the first floor of Sloan Morgan.

All Access Cards must be returned by the last day of the semester to your music instructor or to the Division Office (SL-131). If students lose the Access Card assigned to them, or if they do not return it by the end of the semester that it was issued, the student will have a $5 fee placed on their student account. Additionally, all Access Cards not returned by the last day of the semester will be deactivated.