By taking the CPCC placement test(s).

Placement tests are usually taken by first-time college students or those who have not satisfactorily completed college freshman English or math. Scores will determine the level of English, reading, and/or math courses in which a student can begin.

Placement tests can be taken at the Central Campus on a walk in basis in Testing Center located in the Central High Building. To test at North, Levine, Harper or West campuses, contact the location of your choice for options. Visit the Testing and Assessment Center website for more information and the Study Guide.

By completing prerequisite course work at CPCC with appropriate grade.

Prerequisite courses, where required, are noted in the College catalog.

By verifying completion of equivalent prerequisite course at another college with grade(s) of "C" or better.

    • Students who plan to earn a CPCC degree: Request that official college transcript(s) be sent to CPCC and submit a "Transcript Evaluation Request Form." These forms are available and can be turned in at all CPCC campus admissions offices. You may be given transfer credit that will meet the requirements for the course(es) you want. If not, then take CPCC placement tests or prerequisite course work as necessary.


    • Visiting students or those who do not plan to complete a degree at CPCC: Contact the academic division that offers the course you want to take. They may request transcript(s), grade report(s) or other documentation to show that the prerequisite coursework was satisfactorily completed at another institution.


    • In some cases, CPCC college counselors may grant prerequisite approval when an official copy of the student's previous college transcript(s) are presented.

By consent of the division or division head (limited).

Infrequent, but may be done at the discretion of a division or division head when work experience or other training qualifies a student to take a course, usually a vocational or technical course.