How long must I live in NC to be eligible to pay in-state tuition?

In general, residency (i.e., domicile) must be established and maintained for 12 consecutive months immediately prior to the term for which you wish to enroll with the in-state benefit. Domicile is not the only requirement for residency. Please view the residency website for more information.

If I am classified out-of-state, can I still take classes?

Yes, of course.  You will be charged the out-of-state tuition rate for college credit classes.  Fees for Continuing Education (non-credit) are the same for in-state and out-of-state students, so that may be an option as well.

Can I register as out-of-state and document residency later?

Yes, if you can be classified as in-state before your payment deadline, you can pay the in-state rate. If you do not qualify, you will be charged the out-of-state rate. If you choose not to pay, you are responsible for dropping your classes before the first day of the term.