Residence Status

All students, for tuition purposes, are classified as either in-state or out-of-state upon entering Central Piedmont Community College (CPCC). This classification is also known as your residence status. To view your current residence status, log into your CPCC account then click on Residence Status.

View the Residency HandoutCPCC policy 7.03 In-state Tuition Requirements, and the Residency Determination Service (RDS) for additional information.

Coming soon... on March 13, A statewide centralized residency procedure where the decisions are made by the Residency Determination Service.

All CPCC curriculum students who wish to submit a residence reclassification:

before March 9th must contact the Admissions office with the following documentation:

    Student, or documented designee, must provide at least 2 documents:

    • Abode/domicile and duration: Lease, notarized rental agreement (use a template similar to, or mortgage statement showing 1 year prior to the first day of the term. Student’s abode/domicile must be at least 12 months old.
    • 2nd document which helps establish intent: NORTH CAROLINA driver’s License, NC vehicle registration, or NC voter’s registration card.

    If you fall in one of these categories, additional documentation may be required:

    • Dependent of your parents: PARENTS’ Federal tax return with student listed as a dependent.
    • Minor independent of parents: Student’s NC tax return showing at least 50% of financial support comes from self.
    • Utilizing your spouse’s duration: Marriage Certificate
    • Born outside the US: INS documentation, Naturalization Certificate, or Passport, if born outside the US
    • Active Duty Military or recently discharged: Leave of Earnings Statement showing NC Home of Record, orders to NC, or DD 214

        during implementation, March 9-12, No residencies will be determined due to implementation.
        starting March 13 must submit their active RCN to an Admissions office at any campus or complete online residency interview through the RDS.






                It is the student’s responsibility to notify CPCC if North Carolina residency is lost or abandoned while enrolled. Contact Admissions or Registration Services at any CPCC campus.

                Students registered solely for non-credit continuing education courses do not need to establish tuition residency.