5.15 College Field Trips PolicySee version history
The College may sponsor field trips to enrich the learning experiences of students. Such experiences should be provided as economically as possible, while maintaining fiscal accountability. Students may be charged fees to cover costs of field trips sponsored by the College, provided students are informed at the time of registration of any field trip fees required for participation in a course.
Field trips are permissible when they are designed to enrich the learning experiences of students. A member of the College faculty or staff, designated as the coordinator of the trip, must accompany the group making the trip. The coordinator and dean/manager, as well as Administrative Services, are responsible for facilitating the field trip for students. Their responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
A. Coordinator Responsibilities
1. Secure permission from the agency in charge of the facilities to be visited.
2. Estimate the costs of the field trip, develop a budget based on costs, estimate the number of participants, and determine the student charge rounded to the nearest dollar.
3. Secure permission from the division director and group dean/manager, submitting a "Request for New Account Number" form, together with the revenue/expenditure budget.
4. Complete arrangements for class and/or office coverage while on the field trip.
5. Arrange with the group dean/manager for transportation and for authorization for the students to be absent (if necessary) from classes in order to make the trip. A list of participating students should be left with the division director and/or the group dean/manager.
6. Complete a "FIELD TRIP REQUEST" form, retaining one copy and forwarding a copy to the division director and/or group dean/manager. Administrative Services, and the Assistant Vice President for Administrative Services.
7. Advise students to pay charges to Administrative Services.
8. Orient students in advance concerning the objectives of the trip, hazards, or highlights.
9. Obtain and submit invoices for costs to Administrative Services.
B. Dean/Manager Responsibilities
1. Review, revise, approve the "REQUEST FOR NEW ACCOUNT NUMBER" form, submitting the form to Administrative Services.
2. Ensure that students are informed of the approximate field trip charges at the time they enroll in the course through the publication of charges in the class schedule.
3. Submit, through the appropriate unit vice president, to the President, a summary report for each semester that includes
a. Course name/number
b. Field trip name/account number
c. Budget/actual revenues and expenses
d. Current surplus/deficit
e. Future plans
C. Administrative Services Responsibilities
1. Establish an account for the field trip.
2. Receive student payments for field trip charges.
3. Pay invoices submitted by the coordinator of the trip.
4. Maintain system Administrative accounting records.
5. Assist the Dean/Manager in publishing field trip charges in class schedules.