Central Piedmont Community College will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals to perform the essential functions of the job and/or to participate in an academic activity safely and effectively as required by the regulations of Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, 1973 , and as amended in 2008, the American Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). (ADAAA).
A. Qualified Individual : an individual who meets the skill, experience, education, other job or academic-related requirements of a position or activity, and who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the job or course of study and meet the eligibility requirements of the program, position, or benefit. An individual who poses a significant health or safety risk to him/herself or others will not be "qualified" if reasonable modification to the College's policies, practices, or procedures will not eliminate that risk.
B. Person with a Disability : an individual who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities; has a record or history of a physical or mental impairment; or is regarded as having a substantially limiting physical or mental impairment. Current users of illegal drugs are excluded from the definition of disability.
C. Reasonable Accommodation : any modification or adjustment to a job, employment practice, or the work environment that makes it possible for a qualified individual with a disability to enjoy an equal employment opportunity. A reasonable accommodation for students is any modification or adjustment to an academic program of study, course, or activity that provides an equal opportunity to participate in such academic program of study, course, or activity.
It is the responsibility of the individual with a disability to request a reasonable accommodation. The College will consider the appropriate modification after receiving a formal request.
Individuals seeking reasonable accommodation should adhere to these provisions:
A. Employees requiring an accommodation should contact the Executive Director of Employee Relations and submit the Employee Accommodation Request Form . The Executive Director of Employee Relations will respond to the request within five business days.
B. Students requiring an accommodation should contact the College's Counseling and Advising Services. Students should be registered with the Counseling and Advising Services to expedite processing of their accommodations request. Disabilities Services will respond to the request within five business days following notification by Counseling and Advising Services.
C. Interpreter services for theater productions and events, sponsored by either internal or external clients, will be provided to ensure accessibility under the following criteria:
1. When productions or events are scheduled for more than one showing or time, interpreter services will be provided for at least one of those showings or events. When there is only one showing or time for an event, an interpreter will be provided upon request as outlined in announcements for the showing or event.
2. Public notice of these showings and events will include the particular showing or event for which interpreter services will be provided and marketed to the hearing-impaired community through announcements, brochures, etc.
3. A predetermined number of tickets will be reserved for purchase for the showing or event at which interpreter services will be provided.
4. The notice to the public of the date of the showing for which interpreter services will be provided will specify the length of time that these reserved tickets will be held. After this prescribed time period, the tickets may be sold to the general public.
5. Interpreter services will not be provided if a reserved ticket is not purchased by a hearing-impaired individual within the prescribed time period.
D. Individuals who believe they are not being offered a reasonable accommodation are encouraged to discuss their concerns with the Executive Director of Employee Relations.