2.02 Board of Trustees Bylaws: Powers and Duties of the BoardSee version history
As prescribed in the North Carolina General Statutes, Chapter 115D-20, the Board of Trustees shall:
1. Establish the basic qualifications for and appoint the President of the College for such conditions as the Board of Trustees may fix, such appointment to be subject to the approval of the State Board of Community Colleges.
2. Provide for the employment of the personnel required for the operation of the College upon appointment by the President, subject to standards established by the Board of Trustees and by the State Board of Community Colleges.
3. Purchase all land required for the College site and rights-of-way which shall be necessary for the proper operation of the College when such site has been approved by the State Board of Community Colleges and, if necessary, acquire land by condemnation in the same manner and under the same procedures as provided in Chapter 40A of the General Statutes. For the purpose of condemnation, the determination of the Board of Trustees as to the amount of land to be taken and the necessity therefore shall be conclusive.
4. Apply the standards and requirements for admission and graduation of students and other standards established by the State Board of Community Colleges.
5. Receive and accept scholarships, gifts, bequests, and the like and apply them or invest any of them and apply the proceeds for the purposes and upon the terms which the donor may prescribe and which are consistent with the provisions of state law and the regulations adopted by the State Board of Community Colleges.
6. Establish or discontinue programs of instruction within the College upon the recommendation of the President and according to regulations adopted by the State Board of Community Colleges.
7. Require the execution of such studies and take such steps as are necessary to insure that the functions of the College are always those which are most helpful and feasible in the light of the resources available to the College.
8. Adopt and recommend current expense and capital outlay budgets.
9. Require surety bonds pursuant to the provisions of G.S. 115D-58.10.
10. Have the power and duty to insure College buildings and contents properly as set out in G.S. 115D-58.11.
11. Have the power to procure liability insurance under authority granted under G.S. 115D-58.12.
12. Have the power to sell surplus, real, and personal property pursuant to the provisions of G.S.115D-60.
13. Abide by the conflict of interest provisions as described in G.S. 14-234 and the ethical standards contained in G S. 138A.
14. Perform such other acts and do such other things as may be necessary or proper for the exercise of the foregoing specific powers, including the adoption and enforcement of necessary bylaws and of reasonable policies for the government and operation of the College.
Changes approved by the Board of Trustees on September 1, 2010; January 5, 2011