Visiting the Academic Learning Center
(Students are not allowed to attend a tutoring session instead of their class)
- Do not wait until the night before or the day of to study for a test, quiz, or assignment.
- Try to meet with a tutor at least a week prior to a test.
- Bring relevant information to the tutoring session such as; textbook, notes, study guides, and assignments.
- Bring the written instructions from the instructor.
Know Your Assignment
- Be very familiar with your course assignments by reviewing all of your work thoroughly before meeting with a tutor.
- Students should have some working knowledge of the subject matter before requesting assistance.
- Be prepared to ask specific questions during your tutoring session.
- Students are encouraged to try to complete the assignment so that the tutors can review your work and help to make corrections in areas of concern.
- Play an active role in your tutoring session.
- Ask relevant questions.
- Make an attempt to complete the assignment and provide it to your tutor for the session.
- Tutors are not here to be a substitute for your instructor, but instead to help clarify a skill or concept.
Make an Appointment
- Although appointments are not mandatory we do encourage them, especially when you want to guarantee a specific date and time with a tutor. Students are allowed two tutoring sessions per week, per subject.
- Appointments will not be scheduled over the phone, you must come into the center to make an appointment.
- Please contact the tutor or the ALC if you are not able to keep the appointment with the tutor.
- Students that are considered habitual "No Shows" and "Cancellers" risk the chance of losing their appointment privileges without notice. *Cancellation Policy
- Tutoring sessions are generally limited to 45 - 60 minutes in length.
- Once your tutoring session has ended you may be asked to leave the area so that other students waiting feel free to enter for their tutoring session.
Please contact the ALC staff at 704 330-6474 or email@example.com with any questions.